Piers 1 ½, 3 & 5
Piers 1½, 3, and 5 were the earliest built within today’s Central Embarcadero Piers Historic District, a cohesive group of piers dedicated to inland shipping and transportation. The bulkheads, designed in the Beaux-Arts style and constructed between 1918 and 1931, are a significant example of the design ideals of the City Beautiful movement. Collectively, Piers 1½, 3 and 5 are one of the two largest surviving bulkhead complexes along the Embarcadero. Their adaptive reuse into offices and restaurants was one the earliest such projects inside this district, and achieved federal tax credits with their appropriate rehabilitation.