Leland Stanford Mansion
The rehabilitation of this historic 1856 mansion and its conversion to a California State Park house museum and visitor center facilitated its new use as formal entertaining space for the state’s governor and legislators. The building, a private home turned orphanage, came to the Department of Parks & Recreation in 1978 with some of its original furnishing still intact. After many challenging financial years, a phased rehabilitation was jointly funded in 2000 with the intention of using it for the state’s official entertaining. Missing elements and finishes, both interior and exterior, were recreated from historic photographs.