Royal Presidio Chapel
The Royal Presidio Chapel was designated a National Landmark in 1961. It is the only remaining chapel associated with a Spanish Military outpost in California, and the sole existing structure of the original Monterey Presidio. Designed in 1792 and completing construction in 1796, the Royal Presidio Chapel is the oldest existing stone building in California and the only place of worship where religious services have been held continuously since the 18th century. Page & Turnbull was historic preservation architect and peer reviewer for the rehabilitation of the Royal Presidio Chapel.